At Pastors.com, Kurt Bubna gives list of 10 non-negotiables for aspiring church planters:
- A clear call to church planting which is confirmed by other leaders and pastors who know them and have worked closely with them.
- A supportive spouse and a stable, healthy marriage and family.
- A strong emotional resilience. (Without it, they won’t likely survive.)
- A heart for evangelism with a proven gift and ability to reach the lost.
- A capable teacher who is an anointed and gifted communicator.
- A proven ability to gather and inspire others.
- A demonstrated ability to start something new.
- A proven ability to recruit, train and deploy others into ministry.
- A demonstrated track record of wisdom in life and in leadership.
- A teachable heart proven by the ability to take direction and constructive criticism without defensiveness or arrogance.
While I don’t claim to be an expert in missiology, my experience over the last year at theWELL supports his post. Every point above is critical to the long-term success of the church and the well-being of the planter.
You can read the entire article here.